Feature Lunch Presentation:
Goal Driven Social Communications
Social Media is no longer new; it’s time to create a long-term strategy that ensures your time spent on these platforms produces results. Do you post on Social Media? Learn to nurture a successful and engaging presence based on reliable metrics. Understand how to maximize time and investment in your online marketing and communications efforts. This session will provide you with a set of practical, proven tools that you can apply immediately to your existing communications efforts.
- Learn how, when and what to post
- Explore measurements, assess strategy, and explore advanced tools
- Determine what matters and how to drive engagement
- Evaluate which platforms are worth your time and what you should be looking for
- Hear best practices and review successful cross-platforms campaigns
Beginner Blogging with WordPress
No coding experience or prior experience creating blogs is required for this session
WordPress is a great way to get started blogging. We’ll go over the basics of using WordPress to set up a great looking site on WordPress.com, the free hosted WordPress service. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- What is WordPress?
- What is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
- How to set up a WordPress.com account and blog
- Working with the WordPress.com Dashboard
- How to select and install a WordPress theme
- The difference between posts and pages
- How to create and edit posts and pages on your site
- How to publish posts and pages
- How to add images
- How to create menus and a blog on your website
Making the Transition from a Free WordPress Site to a Paid WordPress Site
Attendees should know what WordPress is and it would help to have a basic understanding of it
We’ll go over how to install and setup the self-hosted version of WordPress, transferring your content from your WordPress.com site (if applicable) and customizing your new website. WordPress is a very powerful tool for building websites and/or blogs.
- WordPress.org vs. WordPress.com
- Domain Name and Hosting Setup
- Installing WordPress (FTP)
- Export Content form WordPress.com
- Import Content to Self-Hosted WordPress
- Installing Your Theme
- Installing Some Recommended Plugins
- Make Your WordPress.com Site Private
- Redirecting Visitors and Preserving SEO
- Customizing Your New Self-Hosted Site
Creating Blog Content & Marketing Your Blog
In this session, internationally-known daily blogger Lynne Golodner will take you through a fun approach to coming up with creative and compelling content for your blog quickly and regularly and then focus on how to grow your readership, market your blog and build your brand awareness. Learn the many reasons a blog can benefit your writing career and the many ways to expand your readership, gain the attention of publishers and agents, and keep your writing chops current.
Monetizing your Blog
Use a blog to generate income through ads, sponsored posts and/or book sales. During this session we will look at the steps to monetization and how monetization looks on a blog. Be ready to brainstorm and think outside the box on how a blog can generate income.
Discover how to use Pinterest to its full potential to market your writing: how to optimize your account, organize your boards, get the most from your images, use analytics, and the secret, to secret boards.
Beginners Guide to Twitter
Attendees should have an email account already set up.
Everything you need to know from setting up an account to tweeting, growing followers, and most importantly, building relationships.
During the session we will cover the following:
- Setting up a Twitter account
- Say it in 140 characters
- Engaging with followers
- How to add images
- Promoting useful content
- Hashtags v. @
Setting Up a Facebook Page, Getting Likes & Generating Traffic
Attendees should have an email account and a personal profile Facebook account already set up
You’re on Facebook now, using your personal profile, but do you have a Professional Business Like Page or are you getting the most from the one you have now?
- Creating a Facebook Account
- Creating a Facebook Page
- Setting up the Facebook Page Properly
- Regularly Publish Engaging Content
- How to get More Facebook Likes
- Creating Facebook Ads to help Generate Likes
- Optimizing Your Landing Page
- Promoting Important Content
Using Wattpad – The world’s largest community of Readers and Writers
Wattpad is a place to discover and share stories. It is a social platform that connects people through words. A community that spans borders, interests, languages. With Wattpad, anyone can read or write on any device: phone, tablet, or computer.
We encourage all attendees to bring a fully charged laptop or tablet. Although not necessary, a computer will enhance the experience with a hands-on feel. Use the hashtag: #RochesterWriters before, during and after the event in your posts, likes, and tweets.
Fresh hot coffee and tea available throughout the day. Light breakfast snacks and a full lunch included with registration. Please contact us if you have special dietary concerns.
Attendees will be able to choose one presentation per session time at the conference. Schedule could change without notice – Rochester Writers reserves the right to add, subtract, or substitute any of the presentations and speakers. Thank you.