Rochester Writers’ 2021 Writing Contest (2022 Contest TBA)
Categories: Poetry, Flash Fiction, First Page, Memoir
Prizes: Cash Prizes* will be awarded for 1st ($50), 2nd ($25), and 3rd ($10) places in each category. Honorable Mentions may be awarded. In addition, Best of Show will receive a complimentary pass to a future Rochester Writers’ Conference.
Opens: May 2021
Deadline: September 1, 2021
Eligibility Rules: All entries must be original and previously unpublished, and it must be submitted online by the deadline. Author retains all rights. Rochester Writers’ will not publish any submitted work without permission, but retains the right to publish any and all of the authors’ names and titles of work. Open to all writers. Anyone under the age of 18 must submit written approval from a legal guardian. All submissions must be in English. Only the title, body of work, and category shall be on the front of the page. Contact information (name, address, email, phone, and word count) must be on a separate page from the entry. All electronic entries must be in a Microsoft WORD DOC or in the text body of the email (do not send PDF files). Winners will be announced in the Fall. Prizes and Certificates will be awarded and mailed.
Description of Categories:
- Margo LaGattuta Poetry: 300 words or fewer, any style, one complete poem.
- Flash Fiction: 300-600 words, one complete story using something from mythology, set in the future.
- First Page of Novel: 250 words or fewer, the first page of a novel.
- Learning Something New Memoir: 600-900 words, first-person, nonfiction. Tell your story of learning something new – piano, French, ceramics, woodworking, poker, darts, skiing, etc. Did you take lessons, learn on your own, read a book? How did it go … like you thought? Are you still doing it? Amuse the reader with the truth.
Word Count: Limit is for the body of work only and does not include the title.
Category: Indicate the category for your entry. Mix and match any of the categories for entry. Below, select to pay for one entry OR two-four entries.
Entry Fees: Once submitted, entry fees are non-refundable. Please review the rules BEFORE submission. Payment indicates you are in agreement with the rules of this contest. Payment is made securely through Pay Pal. You may pay with Pay Pal, Debit or Credit Card. You do not need a Pay Pal account to use the service – just select “Pay with Debit or Credit Card” below the login option.
Submit Entries: Once payment has been made, please email your entries to email@example.com and use the subject line: 2021 Writing Contest
Submissions are now closed, we’ll have another contest in 2022, thank you.
Judging: Independent judges will judge the separate Categories. The first place winners from each category will then go in front of a different panel of judges who will pick the Best of Show.
* Certificates and Cash Prizes will be awarded based on the overall number of entries per category. Rochester Writers cannot guarantee the number of submissions per contest and per category. Therefore, certificates and prizes will be awarded based on quantity, as well as quality of entries.